Primary Goal: Research programs better aligned to support the defense industry.
Under UDMC, 58 research projects that support defense manufacturing by Utah’s research institutions were identified. Focused defense research programs include:
- 2020 – Defense Round Table, where Utah’s defense community and industry met to identify opportunities to work together
- 2021 – Defense Manufacturing Research Symposium – DOD program overviews
- 2021 – HAFB Workforce Needs, presentations by HAFB on workforce requirements
- 2022 March 24 CrossTalk Aerospace & Defense Opportunities for Advanced Manufacturing
- 2022 – April 20 Defense Manufacturing Research Symposium – Utah research presentations
The direct benefit to the DoD is the growing collaboration between Utah’s research community, industry, and the defense community for research to support the war fighter. The 2021 Defense Manufacturing Research Symposium – DOD program overviews resulted in new collaborations between Idaho National Labs and the Nuclear Weapons Center related to high temperature materials. The collaboration between INL, AFNWC, Northrop Grumman, AFWERX, and UAMMI is focused on creating a new research center to be known as the ME2RC (Materials for Extreme Environments Research Center).